Monday 23 April 2007

Pedometer

How long is a mile? I know a “mile is a mile” but how many steps is a mile? And how do you define a “step”? We’ve ascertained (by asking various people) that all the way round Peckham Rye Common is “about a mile”. What I don’t want to do is go happily trolling round the Common three times a session thinking that I’m walking a mile each time when I’m not! I suppose the easy way is to buy a pedometer. But the ones I’ve seen only tell you how many steps you’ve taken. Not particularly useful as it takes me back to my original question.

But guess what? I have no need to worry any more! I returned home this very same evening and dad presented me with a pedometer that measures steps, miles AND calories! Thanks Dad! All I need to do now is work out how to use it.....

But before I do, more off-line sponsorship and thanks to Marie Downstairs and Sacher (who pointed out to me earlier today that she has already given me the money and was part of the initial £35 off-line injection!), whoops, sorry Sash!

A big thanks also to our on-line sponsors so far: Matthew, Lai See, Hilary, Irene, Sarah, Sally’s mum, Clare, Debbie, Simon, Ron and Marian's Mum! £170 raised already!

Written by Jo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you got your ankle weights yet Jo?

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Sadly, I know the answers to your question. Do you mean all the way around the common and park (ie up peckham rye, along colyton road at top, down peckham rye and then the little bit of east dul road at the bottom). If so this is more like a mile and three quarters (2.7km). If you are just going around the common at the bottom it is 3/4 of mile (ie using strakers road across the middle). Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Hi David.....not yet, you haven't given me the money yet...heehee!

Hi Distance Nerd - we're doing the latter! thank you for answering my question, greatly appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Good luck,
I might even bump into you trudging around the park.